Mushrooms and Food Poisoning

Almost all of us use mushrooms in several dishes. So how safe is eating mushrooms when we talk about food poisoning? Although mushrooms are really not a real reason to worry, a few species of them can be really poisonous. Not all of us are fully aware of all types of mushrooms. Food handling experts can share a lot of valuable tips on subjects like variety of mushroom available, how to use mushrooms, how to cook them, etc. You got to sign up for an online food handlers course for that. Aspiring chefs are especially advised to get a Texas food handlers card if they’re planning to join food industry.

A few types of edible mushroom are completely risk free. But, there are also a few other wild mushrooms that can cause food contamination. Wild mushrooms collected by the inexperienced people can trigger food borne diseases. This is why it’s important that you are capable of identifying the various types of mushrooms.

Apart from this, safe edible mushrooms can also become a reason to worry if the mushrooms are grown on compost that is contaminated or hasn’t been sanitized properly. What can infect or contaminate a mushroom?

Polluted water or animals can also spread infections through mushrooms. Bacterial infection is also not uncommon for them. Growth of bacteria in mushrooms is possible during improper processing, handling, storing or transporting methods. Mushrooms should be cooked when they are in their best condition. There is also a special way to freeze the mushrooms. You’ve to steam them before storing in the freezer. That way you can store them in the freezer for about 12 months as well.

Mushrooms should be cleaned thoroughly before use. And also don’t keep them unused for a long time if you’ve already washed them. These are the preliminary safety guidelines that you must remember to adhere to. To get a more detailed idea about safe food handling methods, register for a food handlers course online.

Comments are closed.